Skinny 3-Cheese Penne
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1¼ cup
- ¼ tsp salt, divided
- 13.25 oz dry Barilla® Whole Grain Penne Pasta
- 1 tsp Bertolli® Extra Light Olive Oil
- ½ small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 23.25 oz jar Prego® Light Smart Traditional Pasta Sauce
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup Daisy® Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1½ cups Sargento® Reduced Fat Mozzarella Shredded Cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a square 8.5×8.5-inch (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add ⅛ tsp salt to boiling water. Add penne pasta and cook until pasta is al dente (softened but still slightly firm), about 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
- In large skillet over medium high heat, add extra light olive oil, onions and minced garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until onions have softened and garlic is tender.
- Turn heat to low and pour in pasta sauce. Add in basil, oregano, black pepper and remaining ⅛ tsp salt. Stir sauce well. Cover and heat for 5-7 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl combine cottage cheese, ricotta and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in cooked pasta.
- Transfer ½ of pasta to baking dish. Evenly spread ½ of the cheese mixture on top. Then add remaining pasta followed by remaining cheese mixture. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until cheese has melted.